Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:11:14 -0400
"nine-eleven" has become - and was expropriated to be - something other
than a date on which 2800 people died (at the WTC or on four airplanes
or at the Pentagon). If you read George Bush's speech delivered this
past Monday, that fact might jump out. I note that 11 September is now
'Patriots Day' as a result of some act taken by the U.S. Congress, thus
equating mass-murder with 'patriotism'.

My reading of Ortiz's poem is that it is addressed to that
substitution. He is not 'assailing' mourners – I certainly don't feel
'assailed' by the poem – but he is providing context and pointing out
the hypocrisy practiced by some (again, Bush comes immediately to mind)
who wrap themselves in the tragedy as justification for a quite
separate agenda - such as invading Afghanistan and Iraq and
slaughtering tens of thousands of non-combatants, suppressing civil
liberties in the U.S., etc.

-L.D.