From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 16:08:06 -0700
Deb, I'm assuming your activity was yesterday,
Saturday, May 22.  Is that correct?  I think the
answer to your problem lies in timing.

This is probably a lousy time to market additional
hits on people's time and pockets.  Little League in
many places is in full swing, folks are winding up
school years in some circles, proms are in evidence in
many locales (don't assume the little kids don't have
older brothers and sisters), and spring time often
makes for a time when families commune with nature
instead of being indoors.

You might consider either redoing your day or
rescheduling it next year when it's closer to the
fall.  People go to indoors things (if they go
anywhere at all) when there are fewer places to go and
explore.

Couple of suggestions.  Did you work with the schools
in your area and send home flyers that way?  Could you
arrange to meet with the elementary school (I'm
presuming that's your target) teachers in your area
(maybe at their staff meeting), pitch your event, and
encourage the right age group to give extra credit to
kids who attend the event and do a write-up or oral
presentation for the class about what they saw?  First
year would bring the extra credit folks.  Attendance
may increase by word of mouth following the event.

Your heart's in the right place.  But if you notice,
people don't write as much on the web when Spring
arrives, and they're less inclined to stay cooped up.

Just a couple of thoughts.  Hope they help.

--- Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Granted, our advertising didn't get put in the
> papers this time like they
> usually do which was a bit annoying. But you would
> think that with the flyers
> and mailing, we would have at least 40 or 50 kids.
>
> So how come 80 kids will come out to an Easter Egg
> hunt on a rainy and cold day
> but won't come out on a nice, warm day (okay a bit
> too warm for this time of
> the year but certainly not stiffling hot) for a
> Hands on History Day that's a
> cheaper price? Everyone who came had a great time so
> it's not like our
> activities were lame.

=====
Indigo Nights