From:
Doug Hoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 21:18:24 GMT
On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:21:27 EDT, "Olivia S. Anastasiadis"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ross!  Do you have any idea how many Disnoids actually work in museums?
>I have come across one or two at the Autry or here; and they're all in
>the marketing, special events department.  Aaaaarrrggghhh.
>
>Don't mean to be unkind to them, but they do not have our sensitivity;
>they're still into the "let's make the big bucks" approach by spending
>lots of money in advertising and "promotional" stuff; to hell with the
>historical value of an object, let's make money off of it, squeeze for
>all it's worth, then go ahead and accession it into the collection.
>Double aaargggh!

>Olivia S. Anastasiadis, Curator
>Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace
>Yorba Linda, CA  92886
>(714) 993-5075 ext. 224; fax (714) 528-0544

I'm surprised your sensitivity let you characterize some of your
colleagues as "Disnoids"  in an international newsgroup. What could be
in the job descriptions of those beyond the pale in marketing and
special events? Why don't they do their jobs? What are those Directors
and Boards thinking? What are the scholarly criteria for acceding an
artifact in your museum? Whose job is that?
Your post raises so many questions in my mind.

Doug Hoy              Evaluation           National Museum of
[log in to unmask]              &              Science & Technology
(613)998-6863v         Research       P.O.Box 9724, Station T
(613)990-3654f                          Ottawa K1G 5A3 CANADA
**Opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by the NMSTC**