From:
"Monk, Jeannette" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 17:13:17 -0400
Dear Museum-lers,

At the National Capital Commission in Ottawa, we are currently planning an
international pavilion, which includes, among other things, a permanent
exhibit.  We are now at the stage in planning where we are going through the
"should we do some kind of travelling version of the exhibit, or should we
just do a virtual exhibit?" exercise.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone out there who would like to share
their personal experiences re.:

-travelling exhibits (from those that need to be installed to "musemmobiles"
- are they cost-effective, do people visit them etc.

-virtual exhibits - for people who have done both travelling and virtual
(large-scale sites, heavily interactive), would you say that this is the
best route to go?

It may seem like an odd question, of course the Web provides an institution
with the potential to reach more people and to do some great on-line
activities; is often cheaper and so on, but we really do need to justify to
partners etc.(who have very little experience with exhibits/programs) why
one is chosen over another...and by getting feedback from others who have
gone through the same exercise will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance, and have a great weekend!

Jeannette Monk
Program Coordinator
Thematic and Cultural Programs
National Capital Commission