From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:41:35 -0500
One approach you should probably take is to contact the institution that
your board member thinks is the real owner and find out, first, whether
they have any documentation on the object or, failing that, whether they
have evidence of ownership through old inventories. Of course, you are
right in that you must also try to contact the missing descendant. A
third prong of your approach should be to look up abandoned property
laws for your state. You might be able to establish title through
following the procedures for declaring the object to have been
abandoned.

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
Charlotte Museum of History
3500 Shamrock Drive