Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 19:53:36 EWT
   We're finally about to retire the typewriters and carbon paper and
need some advice about computer hardware and software for use in catalog-
ing a collection of some 30,000 artifacts in about 15 fields of varying
length.
   What, specifically, have other small/medium history museums found
adequate in terms of hardware (PC vs Mac, RAM, hard disk requirement,
printer heavy-duty enough to print on index cards as paper back-up, or is
that now totally irrelevant?) and database to be able to catalogue the
artifacts EASILY (much of the data entry may be copied from the old cards
by volunteers) and -->search by keywords; we have some sales literature
from Snap!, Paradox, FoxPro, and PC-File.
   Before investing in an albatros or a white elephant, we'd like to hear
what similar museums like (and DON'T like) about what they're using.
   TIA!,  Chris Bobbitt, Curator of Collections
   Monroe County Historical Museum
   Bloomington, IN 47408