From:
john & heather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:08:21 -0400
Dear listers,

I'm at a local history museum in High Point, North Carolina.  A
colleague in Lexington, NC called me the other day and sparked my
interest.  We both have 1930s photographs of small children posed in a
cart hitched to a goat.  The cart has plaques with the town name and
year on it, but obviously has either been repainted many times or can
easily be removed.  One of the Lexington photos bears the stamp of the
photographer with "[name], Traveling Photographer".  My donor said she
knew lots of local people with such photos, but that was all the
information she gave me.

We can make some assumptions, but I'd like to hear from anyone who knows
more about this.  Were goat carts a specific prop to the Southern United
States?  Were traveling photographers more prolific during the
Depression? If there are any good books on itinerant 20th century
photographers and their props, that would be great.

Thanks for your help,

John Marks
High Point Museum