Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 15:26:07 PDT
Here at the Hudson River Museum (Yonkers, NY) we'd like to gather some examples

of innovative and dynamic historic house interpretation.  Part of our museum

complex is an 1877 Victorian Mansion, Glenview, listed on the National Register

of Historic Places.  A modernist wing housing art galleries and a planetarium

was added in 1969.  We have launched a major initiative to restore more of

Glenview back to its original character, re-creating two rooms--the Parlor and

Billiard Room (the dining room, ebony library, sitting room and Great Hall are

already restored).  We are also uncovering a skylight that has been concealed

for 30 years.  However, part of our scope is to reinterpret the Mansion, so

that it gives a broad picture of the lower Hudson Valley during the Gilded Age

through the early 20th century (when Glenview was occupied by the Trevor

family).  We draw a diverse audience of 100,000 annually (35% non-white),

including large numbers of schoolchildren and families.

We're beginning the self-study process with museum staff.  We are also planning

to add to outside consultants to help us create an audience survey, run focus

groups and develop content, strategy and methods.  Already, it has been

suggested that we take a look at Newark Museum's Ballatine House, Chesterwood

(MA), the Lower East Side Tenement Museum (NYC) and Albany's Cherry Hill.  Any

other suggestions of good models.

Thanks,

Kathryn Slocum, Grants Officer