From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 10:44:57 -0700
Emily,

Ah! A museum career!  You have a million options out there.  There are the straight up Museum
studies programs or the more diverse public history or arts programs.  I wont say which is better,
but you have to think about what you want to be doing.  Do you like education?  Do you like the
artifacts?  I would like to be working in a history museum so I am in a public history program.
THis allows me to be diverse, especially if I can find a job in a musuem.  I could be working in a
bunch of different places.  If you like administration and art, there are arts admin programs.

Basically though, you really will have a hard time being hired (this holds true for most of the
jobs out there today in any field) without a masters.  But if you aren't sure, take that year off
or two and work in some places.  Even if you waitress for most of the time and volunteer in at two
or three different museums, it helps.  Try volunteering at both an arts museumand a history museum
or a natural science museum.  Be diverse.

Then, find a program.  Lots of good ones.  Look on my website under Employment links and you will
see a tab for education.  THis will link you up to several.  I dont have them all, but its worth a
shot.  Most are history based, so I apologize if you dont like history.

After all that, you will find out that many program wont teach you some of the important aspects.
Take classes at the vo-tech in computer databases and web design, find out who the local grant
writer is and ask them questions.  Take a basic accounting course.  Go to a million conferences
and present at a few of them.

This could be loads of fun.  And remember that there are programs all over the country.  Try
something new.  I really dont care for the South, but I came here for something different.  And
trust me it helps.

If you have more questions, I could go on forever.  Let me know!

Aaron

=====
www.aaronmarcavitch.com
Webmaster, VAF (www.vernaculararchitecture.org)
Webmaster, ADM (www.americandinermuseum.org)
Co-Webmaster, RPPN (www.recentpast.org)
Grad. Student Caucus Chair, Am. Assoc of History & Computing

M.A. (Public) History, Middle TN St. Univ