From:
Michael Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:18:29 -0400
Hello all,
    I've been following all this with curiosity - but I must say, as one who
is "overeducated and under employed" - I've a MA in Sociology, an MALS in
Humanities, a Ph.D.. in Sociology and am completing an MLS (Library Science)
to have the credentials to allow me to make a career change.
    Jobs I apply for and read about (in and out of museums) all want me to
have particular specific degrees. (Hence, the one more time through the system
I'm currently enduring.)
    EVERY degree program I've been through - like Heather -
   "was extremely lightweight intellectually.  I was not stimulated to think
on my own nor was I taught anything I couldn't have read for myself. "

Perhaps the focus is on the wrong thing?

What I would like to know is in hiring practices, what people look for, and
why does this credentialing matter so? I.e.  what does a Museum Studies MA
offer that 10 years of other experiences and / or a doctorate and /or a degree
in something else might not?

Su Epstein