From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 00:28:18 -0400
Adrienne,

I a mnot sure about whether placing a large general ad or specific ads is
more appropriate.  My first instinct is to sya that depends on where you
will be posting the ads and the local market. (popular press I would post
one big ad with crossposting notices under different headings, because
job seekers generaly look inthese publications under a number of
different unstandardized headings and a professional press it would seeem
to me to require specific ads because they have more standardized
headings)  However, I am certian that 6 months is _not_ too early to
advertize your jobs.  More and more people in this profession are working
on grant funded projects and know exactly when their funding dries up and
sometimes begin looking up to a year before their tenure runs out.  Young
professionals as well know well ahead of time when they will graduate and
begin looking well before they graduate.  6 months is not out of line as
long as your forthright with all applicants as to what they can expect as
far as a time table.  And as far as general ettiquette, I think that is
the important rule.  Honesty and openness in terms of pay, employment
duration, and basic job descriptions.  Remember you want them to perform
well when hired, not just get them to answer an ad.  If you are vaque or
secretive, they may feel cheated and disgruntled once hired.

Just my 2 cents.

These thoughts are mine and do not reflect the opinions of my employer,
co-workers, employees, friends, relatives, or significant others.

Matthew A. White
Director of Education and Internship Coordinator
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway
Baltimore, MD 21230
(410)727-4808