From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:26:09 -0400
There are a number of serious problems that this post presents:
1) If the person under discussion was arrested for the charges cited that
would be part of public record, and you then would need to get advice from
legal as to how to proceed.
2) If, on the other hand, the person has not been arrested and is merely
accused then you have a more serious problem. To share information regarding
an investigation outside of the State Police by members of the department is
illegal and could possibly jeopardize the investigation (if there is one). I
would call the head of the State Police to inform him/her that information
about a possible investigation is being leaked to the public. Then, follow
the advice given by the head of the state police.
3) In the meanwhile, inform the parent that they have opened themselves to a
lawsuit for slander, and that if they continue to share this hearsay then
your organization may consider legal action against them for endangering
your programs and using your institution to possibly slander an individual.
4) If you fail to nip these folk in their talk you are opening your own
institution to charges of transmitting slander. The "accused" may have a
cause of action against the folks who started this and against you!
5) Get a good attorney immediately.
6) Do not discuss this matter with anyone until you talk to your attorney
and/or the head of the state police.
Best, --Nicholas