From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:10:01 -0800
Susan, you may wish to look at your bylaws to ensure
you're on solid ground in creating such a position and
what your organization's documents state as it relates
to Board members.  Remember that Board members have a
legal responsibility to the organization, and, in some
instances, you can't just boot them.

In the fund-raising certificate program at UCLA, we
were encouraged to limit board member terms and not
make them in perpetuity.  So as not to be perceived by
people who are his fans (and potential museum
supporters) as discriminating against this gentleman
on the basis of age or health, you may wish to revise
your bylaws as it relates to your board and make
positions something like two years in duration,
renewable for another two, but must rotate out at the
end of the second term for at least two years.  They
can be brought back in after the two year hiatus, but
again for a two year term with a two-year renewal and
rotate out aft er that. That's how a number of
organizations have set up theirs to increase resources
for the entity on which they serve.

There's some logic in the rotational boards.  Board
members have a responsibility to the organization to
also help cultivate funds by their connections.  A
number of board members don't remember that, but the
basic philosphy in development is that fundraising is
a shared responsibility between development staff and
board members.

I realize I'm not addressing your original question
exactly, but I would encourage you to bring this
question up (or at least check the archives there) on
the Charity Channel's Board forum:

http://www.charitychannel.com/forums

There's a wealth of talent and knowledge there that
can probably well advise you with respect to this
dilemma.

Good luck!

--- "English, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Our museum has an elderly board member (92 years
> old).  He was appointed to
> the Board several years ago as a representative of
> the Historical Society
> which has just recently merged with our museum.
> With the merger, there is
> no further reason to have him serving as a
> representative of the Society.
> We would like to change his slot on the board to a
> regular director
> position.  In the past year, this Board member's
> mental and physical
> condition has deteriorated sharply.  We would like
> to free up his slot on
> the board with another candidate, but do not want to
> hurt his feelings.  We
> were thinking of approaching him and explaining that
> the representative
> position was no longer needed and asking him to
> become either a Trustee
> Emeritus or Honorary Trustee who could attend board
> meetings but not have a
> vote.
>
> Do any of you have honorary or emeritus positions
> for your retired Board
> members?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Susan English
> Executive Director
> Joliet Area Historical Museum

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414