From:
Cecilia Meisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:24:20 -0500
Several thought on this:

1.  I think that it is ok to invite officials to an event at a Museum, by virtue of their office.  For example, we invited the Mayor to an event, and we would also invite the next Mayor to an event.  It is an invitation extended ex officio, to the person in office, of whatever party.  Ribbon cuttings, opening exhibitions, etc. - all pretty non-partisan and harmless, just a way of acknowledging the community by providing a role for their elected representative.

2.  We also rent out the Museum, thought this is reserved as a benefit for upper-level contributors or to fellow arts groups.  We don't rent to political groups, just as we don't rent for weddings.  Our rentals policy lays out the permissible rental uses.  We want to balance getting the rental income with not having rentals detract from the Museum's mission.  If we *did* want to rent to political groups, I don't think that would cause any 501(c)(3) problems, unless we weren't willing to also rent to the opposing candidates.

3.  I agree that letting President Bush use the Museum for a political rally is very different than inviting him ex officio as Commander in Chief.  If the Museum is government owned, aren't there restrictions on using government facilities for partisan political rallies?  In my area, sitting politicians set up different campaign offices with different staff for their campaigns, and I don't think they are allowed to use government facilities for election rallies...

Cecilia Meisner
Director of Grants & Special Projects
The Baltimore Museum of Art
10 Art Museum Drive