Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:00:01 -0400
quite.

The Christian biblical legend of creation is not factual and thus
doesn't come close to any definition of scientific theory. "Creationist
science' is an oxymoron, and not truthful in the least. While
empiricists might argue about the conditionality of experimental
conclusions vs 'truth', for a theist, there is, and must be 'absolute
truth' - it is the predicate of the belief system. Of course, their
'absolute truth' is promulgated by their 'god'.

As for museum ethics, the ICOM code seems rather straight-forward. A
'creationist' museum would have to disregard at least the following:

ICOM Code of Ethics for Museums, 2006

4. Museums provide opportunities for the appreciation, understanding
and promotion of the natural and cultural heritage

Principle: Museums have an important duty to develop their educational
role and attract wider audiences from the community, locality, or group
they serve. Interaction with the constituent community and promotion of
their heritage is an integral part of the educational role of the
museum.

4.2 Interpretation of Exhibits
Museums should ensure that the information they present in displays and
exhibitions is well-founded, accurate and gives appropriate
consideration to represented groups or beliefs.

4.6 Publication
Information published by museums, by whatever means, should be
well-founded, accurate and give responsible consideration to the
academic disciplines, societies, or beliefs presented. Museum
publications should not compromise the standards of the institution.

8. Museums operate in a professional manner

Principle: Members of the museum profession should observe accepted
standards and laws and uphold the dignity and honour of their
profession. They should safeguard the public against illegal or
unethical professional conduct. Every opportunity should be used to
inform and educate the public about the aims, purposes, and aspirations
of the profession to develop a better public understanding of the
contributions of museums to society.

8.4 Academic and Scientific Responsibilities
Members of the museum profession should promote the investigation,
preservation, and use of information inherent in the collections. They
should, therefore, refrain from any activity or circumstance that might
result in the loss of such academic and scientific data.

-L.D.