From:
"Shoup, Michael Allen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2015 02:38:35 +0000
Jerrie,

I'm glad you appreciate my differing view and I appreciate yours, but I must disagree with the idea that we shouldn't have discussions that debate political and religious issues. These are incredibly important issues that are central to public history and museums. We have increasingly created a society in which individuals can avoid these sorts of discussions and surround themselves with folks who think and speak as they do. Far from creating a society that is less conflictual, it creates a more polarized society, in which individuals are less able to politely debate important issues. This leads to more, not less of the sort of conflict you seek to avoid here.

Simply put: your question necessarily means we must delve into religious and political issues. That's a good thing, not a bad thing, and we need not run from issues that run the risk of eliciting strong opinions. In fact, that's precisely what we should be doing, both here and in museums.

Mike