From:
Sorceress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:54:01 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carol Reid" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: MUSEUM-L Digest - 29 Jan 2002 to 30 Jan 2002 (#2002-31)

> Subject: Re: Getting a job *without* volunteering
>
> The other aspect is from the aspect of the people volunteering. Often they
> are people starting out in a field and are seeking to gain experience in
> order to gain employment in their chosen field, either with you or
elsewhere
> in the field. They are people who want to contribute to something that
they
> see as worthwhile and wish to be a part of it. In our case many of our
> volunteers are retired and are seeking an activity to occupy their time
and
> the chance to pass on some of the knowledge that they have gained through
> their lives and careers. (and all you volunteers/interns out there can
> contradict me if you wish)

The Contradiction:
Although you are most likely correct about most volunteers, hear ye this
contradiction.  I am neither retired, nor old enough to join AARP and happen
to be temporarily working (63 hrs/ week) for my former husband.  (long
story) I was raised differently than I live.  My life is now similar to
Rapunzel's. Refinery and culture calm me down.   They bring me back to a
past time.
When I volunteer, it's a win-win situation.  My credentials are excellent
and anyone interested can ask privately.

I'm not angry but did not want you lovely people to have the wrong idea. I
understand I'm very different.  However, I am comfortable on this list
because all of you are as
different as I!  The diversity is wonderful, including the vast stretch in
ages.  The cultured people at Museum-L
are like a tonic for me.  Volunteering would be the frosting on the cake.
Andrea Silverman

God Bless America
Land of the Free, Home of the Brave