From:
Robert B Hole Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 20:55:53 -0700
Pamela,

IMHuO, don't apologize - just explain. I read an implicit apology in
acknowledging the temperature. Perhaps too, bring in other factors
effecting the collections. For instance:

"Climate in the exhibition galleries is carefully controlled to better
preserve our collections. Temperature, humidity, light and air circulation
must all be controlled and balanced to ensure the artifacts and documents
can be studied and enjoyed by future generations."

This might even be a good opportunity for education on conservation issues
- a small exhibit, even just photographs as part of a "larger" sign, of,
say, crispy or moldy paper, rusted objects, faded fabrics, whatever best
suits your display collection.

Also, your temp settings are considered very fuel efficient in winter so
you might have winter and summer signage.

Just two cents,

Bob

At 11:05 AM 5/17/2005, you wrote:
>Visitors sometimes complain about the temperature in our exhibition spaces
>being too cold (I keep it around 69-70 degrees).  Because we do not have a
>dehumidification system in our galleries the AC is what I have to rely on
>to pull moisture out of the air.  If I raise the temperature to 72 it will
>also raise the RH, which is already a bit too high for my liking.  I would
>like to put up a sign in our exhibition areas to let visitors know why the
>temperature is the way it is, but I don’t know exactly how to word it.  I
>was thinking of something simple along the lines of, “the climate in the
>exhibition galleries has been set to better preserve our collections for
>future visitors.  We apologize for any discomfort….”
>
>I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and/or had
>suggestions.  Thanks in advance!
>

>Pamela Elbe
>Collections Manager and Archivist
>National Museum of American Jewish Military History
>1811 R St. NW, Washington DC  20009
>p: 202.265.6280 x201
>f: 202.462.3192
><http://www.nmajmh.org/>http://www.nmajmh.org
>
>Don’t miss our new exhibition, Reconnaissance and Recollection: Military
>and Civilian Photographs from World War II­the photographs of Sy Weinstein.

Robert B Hole Jr
Exhibit Supervisor
Lindsay Wildlife Museum
1931 First Ave