From:
"Simmons, John E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:36:21 -0600
This is a really interesting question. I have been working on an essay about
these definitions, and the larger question of "what is museum studies."
Although my essay is far from complete, I would like to respond to the
question to get feedback from the readers of this list.

Steve Williams pointed out to me that Kaplan (1992, Growing pains.  Museum
News Jan/Feb, pp 49-51) provided some definitions for these terms, but I
don't think  the definitions she provided are accurate or appropriate.  I
used Weekley's An Etymological Dictionary of Modern English and the Oxford
English Dictionary (OED) to research these words, and would like to offer
the following for your consideration.

Museography
"the methods and techniques employed in museums" (Kaplan)
"The systematic description of the contents of museums" (OED).  This usage,
which dates to 1904, would include methods and techniques, but clearly
refers to cataloging or labeling, not other methods of techniques.  The
suffix "-graphy" is derived from a word meaning to write or draw.  The OED
says that "some of the words with this ending denote processes or styles of
writing, drawing or graphic representation...More commonly they are names of
descriptive sciences..."   This would cover some of what museum studies
includes, but not all.

Museology
"the theory, history and role of museums" (Kaplan)
"The science of arranging museums" (OED).  This usage of the word goes back
to at least 1885.  The suffix "-ology" derives from the Greek for "word" and
means a doctrine, theory, or science.  This includes some of what museum
studies is, but not all.

Museum Science
Science is "the state or fact of knowing" or "knowledge acquired by study"
(OED).  Art is "skill; its display or application" (OED).  The roots of
these tell you a lot about the words-science comes from scindere (to cut),
art from ars (to fit together, the use of skill and experience).  The OED
says of the contradistinction of science and art, "The distinction as
commonly apprehended is that a science...is concerned with theoretic truth,
and an art...with methods for effecting certain results.  Sometimes,
however, the term science is extended to denote a department of practical
work which depends on the knowledge and conscious application of principles;
an art, on the other hand, being understood to require merely knowledge of
traditional rules and skill acquired by habit."  An art may be "a practical
application of any science; a body or system of rules serving to facilitate
the carrying out of certain principles.  In this sense often contrasted with
science" (OED). It seems to me that museum studies has enough art in it that
calling it a science would be too limiting to be a fair description.

Museum Studies
"a social science or as part of an existing discipline" (Kaplan).  I have
not yet figured out how Kaplan reached this conclusion.  The definition of
studies is "application of the mental faculties to the acquisition of
knowledge."  This seems to fit with the word museum perfectly as the best
description of what the field includes.  The definition of museum studies I
am currently using is cobbled together from several sources, and is this:

Museum studies is the study of the history and function of museums, their
role in society, and how museums acquire, preserve, and interpret
collections.  This includes collecting, collection care, exhibition, public
programs, architecture, management, finances, research, and conservation.

I will argue in my essay that museology, museography, and museum science are
all subsets of museum studies.  Feedback on these ideas will be appreciated.

--John

John E. Simmons
Collection Manager, Natural History Museum
and
Coordinator, Historical Administration and Museum Studies Program
University of Kansas
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7561