From:
Doug Hoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:40:33 GMT
On 9 Jul 1997 01:56:07 GMT, [log in to unmask] (Kay Lancaster) wrote:

>>>I'm not certain how you evaluate what a visitor has learned from an
>>>exhibit----do you conduct a pre-test and post-test?
>
>A highly statistically suspect sampling technique, but one that
>may be valuable... ask your docents who are greeters, etc., to
>ask some folks, "What's the most interesting thing you've learned/seen
>today?"  While it's not quantitative, consistent mentions of some
>exhibit or program merit a closer look.
>
>Kay Lancaster    [log in to unmask]

Something weird is happening with my newsgroup reader--I'm not getting
some of these messages that people are replying to ??! (or is this
what senility feels like?)
So, in the absence of knowing all the thread, I'll try to add
something.
Pre- and post-tests are suitable for some exhibit evaluations,
especially if there is an immediate cognitive or behavioural goal.
We've done a few at my museums, and they don't usually find large
effects. Perhaps the effect occurs a few weeks later--there is some
controversy about this. I can send you our reports.
Kay's suggestion is a good one, if you've never tried it. You can hear
some surprising things. If the exhibit had an overall theme or some
kind of content point to it, it can be interesting to compare this
with what you hear from visitors.
Doug Hoy              Evaluation           National Museum of
[log in to unmask]              &              Science & Technology
(613)998-6863v         Research       P.O.Box 9724, Station T
(613)990-3654f                          Ottawa K1G 5A3 CANADA
**Opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by the NMSTC**