From:
Eric Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:17:42 -0400
We have open slots in all of our September online classes.  This is the last time these classes run in 2009 and the last time at this price. Join us for some professional level training and education without the cost and hassle of travel.

MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of Museum Storage Principles
Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
Price: $425
Instructor: Helen Alten
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms201.html

Storage for Infinity covers everything you need to know to limit damage to stored collections. Participants will learn about building new storage areas and retrofitting existing space. Other topics include constructing support mounts and storage security. The material emphasizes philosophy and planning, handling, materials and techniques.
Course Outline:
1. Introduction
2. Storage Philosophy
3. Agents of Deterioration and Preservation Planning
4. Storage Facilities
5. Storage Furniture
6. Preparing Collections for Storage
7. Storage Materials
8. Storage Mounts
9. Storage of Specific Collections
10. Funding Improvements
11. Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in Storage for Infinity work at their own pace through 11 sections. Instructor Helen Alten is available at scheduled times during the course for email support. Materials include PowerPoint lectures, reading materials and lecture notes. Supporting resources include message forums, weekly online chats projects, quizzes and links to relevant web sites. The course is limited to 20 participants.

Storage for Infinity runs six weeks. To reserve a spot in the course, please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments from MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of Museum Storage Principles:
My first online class. I plan to do more.

I am so glad that you offered this course. I found it very beneficial.

The most valuable part of the class will be the reference book I compiled with all the lectures, forums, assignments, additional readings, etc. This class contained a staggering amount of information … Something like this is much more accessible, no travel expenses or 'lost' work time.

The layout of the web site made perfect sense to me. The flow of it was easy to follow and it was nice to be able to see what things had transpired/been posted.

You seem very approachable and knowledgeable, Helen. This was a good opportunity for meeting new colleagues and networking.

You could not have decided to offer a course any more relevant to the precise issues that our institution is currently dealing with. Tons of detailed info. and a lot of practical help that will actually be useful in daily operations.

This was my first online class and I believe that it was quite a success thanks to the organization that was provided by yourselves. I did not know what to expect but both of you have surely set a very high standard of excellence in online courses.

The Instructor:
Helen Alten, is the Director of Northern States Conservation Center and its chief Objects Conservator. For nearly 30 years she has been involved in objects conservation, starting as a pre-program intern at the Oriental Institute in Chicago and the University Museum of the University of Pennsylvania. She completed a degree in Archaeological Conservation and Materials Science from the Institute of Archaeology at the University of London in England. She has built and run conservation laboratories in Bulgaria, Montana, Greece, Alaska and Minnesota. She has a broad understanding of three-dimensional materials and their deterioration, wrote and edited the quarterly Collections Caretaker, maintains the popular www.collectioncare.org web site, lectures throughout the United States on collection care topics, was instrumental in developing a state-wide protocol for disaster response in small Minnesota museums, has written, received and reviewed grants for NEH and IMLS, worked with local foundations funding one of her pilot programs, and is always in search of the perfect museum mannequin. She has published chapters on conservation and deterioration of archeological glass with the Materials Research Society and the York Archaeological Trust, four chapters on different mannequin construction techniques in Museum Mannequins: A Guide for Creating the Perfect Fit (2002), preservation planning, policies, forms and procedures needed for a small museum in The Minnesota Alliance of Local History Museums' Collection Initiative Manual, and is co-editor of the penultimate book on numbering museum collections (still in process) by the Gilcrease Museum in Oklahoma. Helen Alten has been a Field Education Director, Conservator, and staff trainer. She began working with people from small, rural, and tribal museums while as the state conservator for Montana and Alaska. Helen currently conducts conservation treatments and operates a conservation center in Charleston, WV and St. Paul, MN.

September Online Classes
MS236: Education in Museums
Aug 31 - Sep 25, 2009
Price: $425.00
Instructor: Karin Hostetter
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms236a.html

MS243: Making Museum Quality Mannequins **NEW**
Aug 31 - Sep 25, 2009
Price: $425.00
Instructor: Helen Alten
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms243.html

MS205/6a: Disaster Plan Research and Writing
Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
Price: $425
Instructor: Terri Schindel
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms205a.html

MS217: Museum Cleaning Basics
Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
Price: $425
Instructor: Gretchen Anderson
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms217a.html

MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of Museum Storage Principles
Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
Price: $425
Instructor: Helen Alten
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms201.html

MS109: Museum Management
Aug 31 - Oct 2, 2009
Price: $425
Instructor: Sue Near
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms109a.html

MS002a: Collection Protection - Are you Prepared? (short course)
Sep 14-18, 2009
Price: $75
Instructor: Terri Schindel
Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms002a.html