From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:12:07 -0400
On 7/19/07, Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Are there people for whom a Segway increases accessibility?  I would
> think that the skills and strengths needed to stand upright and direct a
> Segway are the same as those needed to walk (core strength, flexibility,
> etc) In other words - a wheelchair is an accessibility tool, a Segway is
> a - what?

I have seen one student at the university where I work, use a Segway
for accessibility. She was probably a dwarf as her head was barely
above the handlebars. I assume she was using it because there are a
lot of stairs on campus as well as it can be a hike from the student
parking to the classroom buildings. Dwarfism can also have a range of
physical issues such as respiratory problems or mobility difficulties
in addition to the stunted height. I remember when I had bronchitis,
walking around on flat surfaces wasn't a problem but as soon as I
walked up just one stair, I started wheezing.  I can see that such a
person would have difficulty walking around campus all day long, esp.
with stairs, but not so much that she would require a wheelchair so a
Segway is a legitimate accomodation.

But in an historic house, I would agree that a Segway is not the same
as a motorized wheelchair because a) they are not designed for indoor
use and b) the person could walk around and take frequent breaks. They
could even carry a small folding stool to use for such purposes which
the museum could provide for them. Camp stools are cheap, easy to
store and easy to carry around. Many visitors could benefit from them,
not just the mobility impared.

My $.02.

Deb