From:
Kodi Jeffery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 10:42:52 CDT
I agree with Richard Perry -- you can design doctoral programs to your own
needs.  I am working at Louisiana State University on a doctorate in science
education -- but my emphasis is museum education.  There are even a couple of
other people here who are working with my major prof (Jim Wandersee) and are
interested in Museums.  If you get a good major prof, he/she will work with
you to design a program for your needs.

I also was lucky because the Museum of Natural Science down here needed a
graduate student to oversee its educational programs.  Since we're so small,
I coordinate the whole ed program. It is a bit daunting at times, but it is
great experience.  I'm sure there are other university museums that offer
assistantships in various museum sections.     The trick is just to find one
and get a good department/major prof at the same time.

I have to admit, I don't know if this will make me as employable as I hope,
but you can't beat it as a way to get both experience and the schooling you
want!

Kodi Jeffery
LSU Museum of Natural Science