From:
Jerry Shiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:43:42 -0400
Great answers, especially from Dianne Gutenkauf. A wonderful string for a
Friday afternoon, although I was getting hungry anyways...

Squirrel traps may usually be rented. Check your yellow pages. However,
move a squirrel and another will usually move into the vacant territory, so
be prepared for an ongoing, never-ending project. Our city will no longer
pick up trapped squirrels or raccoons (cost-saving cut backs), so I place a
blanket over the trap and put it in my vehicle. The transported squirrel
will have a hell of a time competing in new (read already occupied)
territory, so don't think you are being completely humane. Then there's the
question of the impact on the native squirrel population...

Avoid moth balls- these things only affect moths under certain well
controlled circumstances, and they do have a very lingering smell.I get
occasional calls about how to deal with moth ball odor, and it seems to me
it is a more difficult to deal with problem than the original situation.

A BB shot from a gun at more than a few yards away may more likely frighten
than injure, but you can't be sure. If you do hit the squirrel and not the
car window on the other side of the roof, you may have a body to be dealt
with immediately. If death is not instantaneous (the likely outcome) you
may have to dig the remains out from the rodent's final hiding place. Then
again, you'll have to be a good shot and a patient hunter to pull this one
off (and be sure to do it when no one is around to question you). From a
practical point of view BB guns are a problematic, though clearly a
patriotic solution.

js
Jerry Shiner
Object & Textile Conservation Services Ltd.   O/A
Keepsafe Systems & Forever Yours Gown Bridal Preservation
Visit www.gowncare.com