From:
Bill Sander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 08:00:54 -0700
We've worked with this issue at several of our sites (five small history
museums in California). In Old Sacramento and in Old Town San Diego, state
owned historic districts, we were able to install wooden ramps that blend
in to the historical recreations. They just look like what a 19th century
shipping office would've thrown together to ease the work of moving barrels
and crates with handtrucks. The doors all have brass handles to turn the
latch, instead of knobs.
Although our San Francisco site is in a contemporary building, we
considered installing a "cage" elevator, similar to old European ones, for
access to the mezzanine. (We were able to work with the existing elevators
ultimately).
Every site is different, but I think a lot can be done with some
imagination and adoptation of appropriate materials.

Bill Sander
Wells Fargo Historical Services
Wells Fargo Bank
415/396-3956