From:
Luis Gutierrez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:02:46 -0400
These breaking news are very interesting ... is something cooking in the
Vatican's glacial oven?

Our First Most Cherished Liberty (12 April 2012)
http://usccb.org/issues-and-action/religious-liberty/upload/Our_First_Most_Cherished_Liberty.pdf

Reaffirmation of Women's Rights Key to Rio+20 Success (16 April 2012)
http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=107451

CDF and USCCB announce 'renewal' of LCWR (18 April 2012)
http://www.americamagazine.org/blog/entry.cfm?blog_id=2&entry_id=5066

On the statement by the American bishops, perhaps they should teach more
about natural family planning and less about religious freedom ... it is
well known that the Vatican has been trying to block UN gender equality
initiatives for many years ... and now it seems that American nuns are
going to get fried ...

I am not concerned about the nuns getting fried; they can handle the
heat.  I am not concerned about the church either, for we have the
Lord's promise that "the gates of hell will not prevail."  My concern is
for the bishops, who failed so miserably to resolve the child sexual
abuse crisis and now seem so diligent to reassert themselves as the
"authentic teachers of faith and morals."

Much good can come out of this.  Hope it becomes an opportunity to
recognize the difference between clear cut issues, such as the right to
life and the Lord's right to call women to ordained ministry, and other
issues of human sexuality in which there are many shades of gray. Surely
the Vatican knows that even for Catholics, in matters that have not been
infallibly defined as revealed truth, there must be room for open and
free discussion.

Isn't it time for the entire Vatican to become a museum?

Luis

Luis T. Gutiérrez, PhD, PE
Mother Pelican: A Journal of Solidarity & Sustainability
Home Page <http://www.pelicanweb.org/>
Current Issue <http://www.pelicanweb.org/solisustv08n04page1.html>