From:
Kay Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:41:54 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Sophia C
Vackimes wrote:
>I need to take pictures from books in order to make slides.  Does anyone
>have instructions on how to set up the camera, tripod, type of lighting
>etc.  Will be greatly appreciated.

A book that I have found very useful for my students who were making
their first slides is:
  Reynolds, Linda and Doig Simmonds.  1981.
  Presentation of data in science: publications, slides, posters, overhead
  projections, tapes, slides, television: principlea and practices for
  authors and teachers.  The Hague: M. Nijhoff.

There's excellent information in there on making slides, including
legibility of typefaces, color contrasts, design and set up of
lecture halls with AV equipment, etc.  Reading this is one of the
best cures I know of for the sorts of slides that commonly show
up at meetings, where you can't make out a word nor a shape from
the back of the room.

It's specifically aimed at scientists, since we tend to create
the most data-rich and unreadable slides on the face of the earth,
but it's useful to anyone who makes public presentations.

The authors have also done an update: Data Presentation and
Visual Literacy in Medicine and Science, Butterworth, 1994:
ISBN 0750609826.  I've not seen this book, but if it's as thorough
as their first, it's going to be quite useful.

Kay Lancaster  [log in to unmask]