From:
Terry Peeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:49:48 +0000
Kathy,
    Employees are generally not hired under a contract unless they are
management. Usually, a person is hired as an "at-will" employee meaning
essentially, that they can be released at any time for any reason and quit
at any time for any reason; of course this is subject to anything to the
contrary written in employee handbooks, etc.   When I was a docent, or what
they termed guide,  at Winterthur Museum, there were two categories: general
guides or docents and senior guides.  The regular guides had to go through
training and serve in a wing of the museum for a year before they were
evaluated for promotion to senior guide.  The senior guides were required to
go through additional coursework and evaluation.  Both groups were paid a
salary based on part-time work.  This was years ago so I can not speak on
what the process is today.  I would image that your human resources or
management department could come up with requirements regarding service
hours and locations for volunteers.  I hope this helps.
Best,
---
Terry Peeler