Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:49:19 +1300
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I love reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every
week. The information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!" - User Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBSITE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  A 17th-Century Masterpiece Discovered at the Ritz in Paris
The Hôtel Ritz Paris, famous for its bar, its swimming pool and its
assignations, had a treasure hiding in plain sight, an exceptional painting
that had been hanging on a wall for decades without anyone paying it the
least attention

**  Take A Tour Of Taiwan's New Hands-On Condom Museum
Mr. You's claim of olfactory prowess quickly circulated on the Chinese
Internet, after the recent announcement of the opening of a condom museum in
Taiwan

**  Secret Painting in Rembrandt Masterpiece Coming into View
Researchers had previously probed the painting with infrared, neutron and
conventional X-ray methods, but could not see the behind the top coat,
largely because Rembrandt used the same paint (with the same chemical
composition) for the underpainting and the final version

****  HAPPY TRAVELERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2013! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 hotels in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations.Interactive
Map with the world's top festivals and events.
CLICK HERE http://www.museum-traveller.com - Airfares, Car Rentals,
Accommodation and  Destination Guides
Provider is EXPEDIA, a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Historians warn minister: hands off our academic freedoms
Willetts plans to make publicly funded research immediately available for
anyone to read for free by 2014, in the most thoroughgoing shakeup of
academic publishing since the internet

**  Monumental sculptures of iconic New York buildings to emerge along the
Park Avenue Malls
Sculptures maintain the façade and recognizable features of the iconic
buildings, but also adopt new forms - an elasticity that is foreign to the
structure

**  Mummies' Faces, Hairdos, Revealed in 3D
A young, short man with a slight resemblance to Michael Jackson, a woman
with an elaborate hairstyle and an older woman who could slip, unnoticed,
into today's society - all died some 2,000 years ago but now facial
reconstructions of the ancient Egyptians have brought them back to life

**  Your molar roots are leftovers from Homo erectus
Longer lifespans mean our adult teeth erupt later than they did in our early
ancestors, but the memo didn't make it to the roots of our molars

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 1,619?
Now on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet
& Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 1700 members.  Join Today At
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  Attack of the Bloodsuckers!
A whimsical display with audio called "Suckers Talk Back" has a leech, a
mosquito, a tick and a black fly explain why they are important to the
world, and the leech mentions helping doctors

**  Hundreds of lost William Blake etchings discovered at a Manchester
Library
The library has held works by Blake including hand-coloured illustrations of
Young's Nights Thoughts, but the team suspected more were hidden in the
collection of a million books and records

**  World's oldest portrait reveals the ice-age mind
Twenty-six thousand years ago in the Czech Republic, one of our ice-age
ancestors selected a hunk of mammoth ivory and carved this enigmatic
portrait of a woman - the oldest ever found

**  Imperial War Museum launches online Google exhibitions for Holocaust
Memorial Day
The Imperial War Museum has teamed up with Google to deliver two
hard-hitting digital exhibitions for Holocaust Memorial Day

Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum
93,198 Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 3,067 Followers worldwide
and growing fast

**  Vladimir Tretchikoff's Chinese Girl up for sale
The picture, which has been described as the most famous painting in the
world, was inspired by Monika Sing-Lee who modelled for Tretchikoff after he
spotted her at work in her uncle's launderette in Cape Town, South Africa

**  U.S. businessman sues art collector over Jasper Johns paintings
The museum announced the acquisition of the Johns works in a 2008 press
release that said the trio of paintings were a "promised gift" of Bryant,
then a MoMA trustee, and Marie Josee Kravis, president of the board of the
museum, and her husband, Henry

**  'No evidence' to charge three Romanians accused of Picasso, Monet and
Matisse art thefts
The thieves broke in 16 October through a rear emergency exit at Rotterdam's
Kunsthal gallery, grabbed the paintings off the wall and fled, all within
two minutes

**  Aerial snow photos help archaeologists explore Wales' landscape
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales says
snow "evens out" the colours of the landscape allowing complex earthwork
monuments to be seen more clearly

Become a Facebook Fan -  Join 2,018 of  us who Like Global Museum on
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  This Week's Horoscopes
Capricorn - Heartbreak is in the stars for you this week when the woman of
your dreams confesses she cannot love a man with such an unholy appetite for
pie

**  Motown Museum to shine spotlight on hit-making girl groups
Included will be rare photos, concert posters and - perhaps most enticing to
diehard fans - original stage costumes, all recapping the groups' 1960s
heyday

**  Dung Beetles Navigate by the Stars
Despite having tiny brains, dung beetles are surprisingly decent navigators,
able to follow straight paths as they roll poo balls they've collected away
from a dung source

**  Largest Multi-Touch Screen in U.S. Installed at Cleveland Art Museum
The museum recently installed what it claims is the nation's largest
multi-touch screen, where as many as 16 visitors at a time can explore the
3,500 works in the permanent collection on display

Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy! 602 Pins, 132
Followers http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

**  Osaka Human Rights Museum in Funding Crisis
A unique museum that documents the struggles of minorities in Japan may have
to close because the city government believes it does not offer children
'hopes and dreams'

**  Will a mock-up of Tutankhamun's tomb pull in tourists?
An exact replica of Tutankhamun's tomb has now been created - but will
tourists really want to travel to Egypt just to visit a mock-up?

**  First Annual NAWCC Conservation Seminar
May 2-4, 2013. Columbia, PA at the National Watch and Clock Museum

Add Us To Your Google+ Circle - 308 in Circles, 103 in Community so far -
https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

**  Explore "Museum Origins" in Italy
The Museum Origins course offered by the School of Library and Information
Science (SLIS) at Kent State University is now accepting applications for
the eight-week, summer 2013 class.

**  The Wonders of Ancient Mesopotamia
Hong Kong Museum of History

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
PINTEREST PINS, BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people
posting their RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social
Network, Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited
Courses,Products & Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!