From:
stevensg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:38:55 -0500
Well said!  Congratulations on a thoughtful response to the real heart of this
issue.

Although any degree program may have its strengths and weaknesses, blaming the
program for not getting you a job is narrow-sighted.  It is after all, to
borrow the cliche, only "a piece of paper."  You get what you give, and in
this case, what you present.

Greg Stevens
MAT Candidate 2001
Museum Education Program
The George Washington University

> [...]
>across?
>
>If not, why not?  If you look around in your
>community, or on the internet, you may well be able to
>find a class at a nominal cost you can attend that
>teaches you the fine art of interviewing, and just
>like a great masterpiece, effective interviewing is an
>art.
>
>Believe it or not, interviewing skills are as
>important as that pedigree you're carrying and the
>resume you paid someone else to do for you (LOL).
>
>I believe that competition is stiff in the employment
>field.  I am less inclined to believe that it is
>harder to get into such a field if you have worked on
>your people and interview skills than it is in any
>other field where there are more candidates for
>employment than there are actually jobs.
>
>Take a moment, as well, to consider interviewing from
>the perspective of the employer.
>
>Someone has left or is leaving.  Everyone else already
>has too much to do and now has to take on some part of
>that departing person's responsiblities.  The public
>is still coming to the museum, there are school
>children to be accommodated, the director wants to add
>a new exhibit with a too-short deadline, a coworker
>wants them to hire a friend they know is not a match
>for the position, there's a report due to the
>development department by 5 o'clock that is critical
>for a grant application, and oh, by the way, they're
>having friends over for dinner on the weekend, their
>child just called saying their dog got out, and they
>need to go to the dentist.
>
>And now YOU?
>
>Interviewing is no more fun for the hiring supervisor
>than it is for you.  In many ways, it's a form of
>courting ritual.  It can be a great date, and it can
>be a good lord, did I really give this person my
>number, and I hope they never call me again kind of
>thing.
>
>Finally, it behooves you to know what questions can
>and cannot be asked in the interviewing process.  This
>is important for both the interviewer and interviewee.
>

>One of the places you may find those questions is
>either in one of the classes that will prep you for
>interviewing, or you may have some success by looking
>at the EEOC web site (http://www.eeoc.org).  However,
>you'll have to dig them out.
>
>Far too many overlook the critical skills necessary it
>takes to be a part of a successful interview.  I
>encourage you to do what you can to make sure that's
>NOT you.
>
>Good luck!
>

>--- Cindy Barnard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hello;
>> I know I'm going to sound like an embittered and
>> negative person- but here
>> goes. This has been my experience; and I know that
>> everyone is different.
>
>=====
>Indigo Nights

>Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.

. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).