From:
Matt Gargan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:19:57 -0600
Yes, we have here at the Denver Museum of Natural History.  The program is called the Volunteer Security Assistance Program.  It was started in the mid 80's and has had as many as 40 volunteers at one time.  We are presently at about 34 members and can only say good things about them.  The training is done by our full time Security Officers and a real team effort has been built over the years.  We have one volunteer that is 97 years old and comes every Monday just like clock work for her shift.  Each year we have a luncheon for them and have a group photograph taken.  This program is very well attended.  There was little if any opposition by the full time security staff about being replace by these volunteers as the program was presented from the first as to augment the staff not replace them.  We wonder now how we ever got along with out them, and certainly don't know now.  If you need any additional information please contact me at (303) 370-6483, Matthew Gargan,  Security Captain, Denver Museum of Natural History, 2001 Colorado Boulevard, Denver CO, 80205.

Thanks Matt,

>>> MB Tobola <[log in to unmask]> 08/03 8:51 PM >>>
Has anyone used volunteers to fill gallery security positions? If so, how were they trained and how did it work?

Any comments related to this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-M.B. Tobola