From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:11:21 -0800
I had planned on staying out of this one becuase paper based objects
are not my specialty and I am far too busy to dive into every subject
that arrives in my inbox.

Diane is right.

Sometimes shouting is necessary. I cannot even begin to recount the
times that I have heard of home or first time experiments at
conservation treatments going awry because people think that if they
can buy it at home depot and get a "recipie" from somewhere, that it
will be fine.

Please know that there is a reason why it takes years of training and
experience to safely design and conduct conservation treatments. Sure,
there are some things that are simple and that any conservator will
tell you that you can do, but there are many, many things you should
not even think of taking on yourself.

This is especially true when working with solvents. I won't even get
into all of the bad things that can happen to the historic or artistic
object. How about you? Do you know what an MSDS is? (Material Safety
Data Sheet) Are you set up to work with flamables? With solvents that
can have respiratory and central nervous system effects? What if you
spill the solvents? What if you get it on your hands? What if it
ignites? Are you prepared to deal with any and all "what if's"?

Also, what about hazardous waste disposal? Do you know the relevant
laws? Are you prepared for the costs or to arrrange for proper and
legal storage and disposal? If you dump it down the drain or out in
the woods you are not only legally liable for that waste but also for
everything else it touches, whether it is sewer or dirt.

And it is not only you who are at risk but your institution.

So consider this very carefully, educate yourself, and listen to Diane....

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator