From:
Laura Finger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:31:04 -0800
  In my experiece, professionals would prefer that
their colleges have a degree (pref an MA) in musuem
work or several years of directed/ mentored training
by a reputable mentor in the field.
  The MA program that I'm completing, however, is full
of academics who constantly look down on the "amateur
historian" who comes to the field with little to no
traning in a university setting.  Of course, that
snobbishness is self-serving since keeping the
un-degreed joob seekers out of the market gives them a
leg up.
   Overall, I think it helps to have the basis of a
musuem or realted degree when out in the marketplace,
but be prepared to face snobbishness when interacting
with those from an academic setting.
--- Paul Barone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > So my question to the braintrust is:  Do any of
you
> have first-hand knowledge of "collectors" entering
> the museum ranks? And is "collector" a bad word in
> museum ranks, since they are the ones who go after
> pieces that museums should possess instead? I'd much
> rather call myself an historian, since it is not
> enough for me to own a piece without knowing
> everything about its marketing, usage, social and
> cultural impact, etc.
>
> Very curious to hear your comments - I have enjoyed
> all the discussion on this list so far.
>
> Paul Barone
> Los Angeles, CA
> Owner/Webmaster, BoxCameras.com
> www.boxcameras.com
> [log in to unmask]  --or--

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Restoration and Conservation Division
Tennessee State Library and Archives