From:
Micki Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:20:54 -0700
Garet: These have been excellent responses to your question. I would have to
add, from the perspective of one all but retired, that the single skill I
have seen lacking on the job in new Museum Studies grads is FLEXIBILITY.
Situations change constantly, and museum staff rarely have control of all
aspects of any project or task.  Think about the number of things that could
possibly go wrong, and at least half of them will go wrong! So, thinking on
your feet and being able to change tactics to meet changing situations is a
skill to be honed. Also, I have seen recent grads alienate volunteers and
staff by insisting everything must be done as they learned it-- instead
observe and ask if you see something being done differently. It is
absolutely wonderful to have assistants who are professionally trained, but
there is a learning curve once the actual job begins.

Back in the dark ages when I completed a Museum Studies MA, I do not recall
getting any specific exposure to general budgets and accounting, other than
exhibit budgets. That was learned by the seat of my pants, and in more
recent years I would have to say a basic knowledge of accounting and budgets
is not enough. I found I needed to know more about investing decisions and
tax matters, to help my board (and donors) make informed decisions.

From my point of view, one of the best pieces of advice you received was to
take advantage of any opportunity to learn a new skill. At some point you
WILL use it!

Micki Ryan
Museum & Archival Services