From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:40:33 GMT
>Do any of you know about abatron?  We have a rotting sill beam on an 1837
>dogtrot loghouse and have been told that we can use abatron on them and
>that they will be as strong as if we replaced them.

The solution to your problem will not be found in any particular product. You
must understand why your logs are deteriorating and use treatments that address
the root causes of the problem (hint: track down moisture sources and
movement). The method repair is far-and-away more important than the products
used.

With that said, Abatron (and about 8 other products) can be used successfully.

For more info on epoxy/wood repairs and log structure repairs visit my website,
and let me know if I can be of further help.

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant
26 Higgins St., Portland, ME 04103, USA
207 773-2306
Old-House Journal, Contributing Editor
Practical Restoration Reports, Publisher
www.HistoricHomeWorks.com