From:
"Douglass, Amy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:15:02 -0700
You assumed falsely that I was refering to myself when I spoke about
views that are not expressed.  I write my Congressmen quite frequently
and do make my own views expressed.  I was refering to other groups and
individuals that, for whatever reason (poverty, lack of awareness about
the issues being debated, etc, etc) are disenfrachised.  Yes, ideally
the government is us and we all have the opportunity to express our
opinions.  But the reality is that some people think they will not be
heard or that their opinions do not matter, so they do not speak out.
Somehow, they need to be encouraged to speak up and the government needs
to be responsive when they do.