From:
Ink Projects <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 23:09:03 -0500
Hello all,
Within the last few years we got a terrific response from this list when we
were researching our book Little Museums: Over 1,000 Small (And
Not-So-Small) American Showplaces by Lynne Arany and Archie Hobson. It
finally came out late this past spring, and late though it is, I'd like to
thank all of you--your input was invaluable. For those of you unfamiliar
with the project, or who have long since forgotten about it, you might like
to know it's been well received in the museum community, as well as in the
"Roadside" & travel review press.

"Little Museums is practical, interesting, and charming. It is just the
book to toss into the car when the family sets out on a vacation. . . . The
authors glide smoothly from 19th- and 20th-century nostalgia, memorabilia,
and charm into 21st-century high technology. . . . Arany and Hobson invite
you to take a voyage of discovery by automobile or armchair. Take them up
on it. You won't be disappointed. They deserve a hearty tip of the hat for
having done a splendid job."-Stanley Freed, American Museum of Natural
History, in Curator: The Museum Journal, June 1998 (41/2)

Heading into the holiday season--I hope you'll forgive the shameless
self-promotion aspect of this--it is a great gift for roadtrip & armchair
traveler alike, as well pop culture fan, and museum lovers everywhere. We
cover all 50 states and this definitive reference also includes complete
how-to-get-there info, websites, Virtual museums listings, and, is fully
indexed. You'll find personal and informative descriptions of museums with
everything from Bicycles to Bad Art and then some . . .

Lastly, besides thanking you, I'd like to invite you to submit any comments
or updates. The website for the book features a number of selected listings
from the book, as well as links to many sites, new finds, and other museum
resources. Our plan is keep it updated, adding new finds and writing new
features as often as possible. We also maintain a database and will keep
that updated as well. At this writing we have well over 3000 entries.

Little Museums: Over 1,000 Small (And Not-So-Small) American Showplaces by
Lynne Arany and Archie Hobson (Henry Holt/Owl, 1998, 464 pages, $17.95,
ISBN: 0-8050-4823-5). Available from Amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com, in
bookstores (usually under Travel), directly from the publisher, or through
our website links.

Please contact us directly with any comments at all. Many thanks!

Lynne Arany [[log in to unmask]] & Archie Hobson
www.littlemuseums.com
212 979-6212 / Fax: 212 979-7379
511 Ave. of the Americas, Rm. 296
NY, NY  10011

P.S.: To follow the thread about museums at airports, Gary Sweeney has a
mural at the "new" Denver Airport that itself highlights museums across the
country . . .