From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:44:44 -0700
Dave Harrison says "Nobody seems to mind when jobs are offered on the list.
So why the uproar when someone looks for a job?"

Think through the math ... How many museum jobs exist out there (and how
hard is it to find the openings)? How many people are there who would like a
job in museums? We've already heard about how few opportunities there are
and the large numbers of seekers.

I've been on this list for maybe 15 years. This subject comes up every year.
I have never heard of anyone (although they may exist) who got their job
from a posting on museum-l. I do know several people who successfully
responded to job opportunities posted here that they had not seen anywhere
else in their search.

My suggestion for job seekers is to search the archives
http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/museum-l.html. Each year, when this
subject comes up, there are all kinds of postings with useful advice. You've
already seen a couple this time around.

The museum field can provide an incredibly fulfilling career, but it also
offers relatively few opportunities - especially compared to the number of
people who are interested and have the right skills. Be persistent and
creative. Follow your passion. And, be patient. Good luck in your searches,
all.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Senior Manager, Community Learning & Outreach
The Tech Museum of Innovation   [log in to unmask]
145 W San Carlos St.                 408-795-6303
San Jose, CA  95113                  fax 408-279-7167
http://www.thetech.org/

Note: The opinions expressed above are entirely my own and not necessarily
those of my employer.