From:
"Harding, Deborah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:34:24 -0400
Lisa and List--many years ago I came into the aftermath of a major move
(56,000+ ethnographic, historic, & archeological artifacts) where the
objects had not been inventoried beforehand.  The people who had done the
packing & moving were no longer on staff.  The accession numbers were listed
on the outside of the numbered boxes (e.g. "Spain #1: 29691/23-47"), but if
there ever was a box list I've never seen it.  The North American & Asian
collections were already unpacked when I arrived, as well as most of the
historical material. It took years to unpack and sort the rest out.  [Let me
mention that we were installing 3 major exhibit halls, one after another,
simultaneous with unpacking.]

Please, for the sake of your future sanity & that of your successors, do an
inventory & box list.  List not only where the box gets put, but what's in
each box.  Make a clean master list, with copies to hand out to helpers.  If
you can take the time beforehand, it'll save you many times that afterward.
Feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss your move.  Good
luck.

Deborah G. Harding
Collection Manager
Section of Anthropology