From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:35:05 -0400
I have never found that prestige is a deciding factor in a hiring decision.  Remember, Just because the school is prestigious does not mean that the museum studies program is prestigious.

Instead, look at the program itself.  What kinds of courses do they offer? Who teaches the courses?  Are the courses mostly academic, hands-on, or a combination? What are the requirements for degree completion? What connections do they or the program have in the museum community?

You may also want to evaluate the museums in the area around the school.  Does the program seem to have relationships with the local museums? Do they offer ways or support to help you gain practical experience?   Do they require internships?

All museum studies programs are not the same.  Does the program focus on history, natural history, or art? Is that your interest? Are the professors focused on one "skill" such as education, interpretation or collections more than a wide range of skills?  Does this match up with your interests?   Review the types of thesis's or projects currently or recently finished, do they seem to focus on one area?  This can often show you if the professors are focused in one area or not.

And also, ask to talk to some fellow graduate students or alumni.  I'm sorry to say that not all programs present themselves fully or clearly.  They may say they focus on all areas, but do they really?  Did the student feel they got the skills needed?

Hope this helps.
Tracie

Tracie Evans
Curator of Collections