From:
Carol Kocian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 15:18:04 -0400
Deb wrote,
>Personally, I think these reenactors should just not do public
>events and stick to the "closed" events for reenactors only. It's
>like all they really want to do is sometimes called "live-action
>role-playing" or LARPs as opposed to interpret history.

      Frequently there is a mix of people in each reenactment unit,
some who will interact with the visitors and some who will not.  In
the case of military reenactment, some groups want the most firepower
(soldiers with muskets), and aren't concerned with the attitude of
the person as long as they will follow the safety standards.  When a
historic site hires/invites a group, they get the whole gamut.  Even
if the group is paid for their appearance, the individuals themselves
are volunteers.

>Well sort of on that line is my bone of contention with first-person
>interpretation. Like accents, many will try, few will do them well.

      I think it was Joseph Ruckman who once pointed out that the
difference between first and third person is "I" vs. "they".  "This
is my musket, and it works this way," instead of "they would have
used vegetables in season."  Developing a character, and then having
a portrayal that interests the visitor - this is something that one
can build up to.  Some groups do have training sessions where they
teach these skills.  I think the bad first person interpretations are
those where the presenter is too involved with the details (the
accent, a set script) to realize the visitor's reaction and interest.

>While I don't really care if people use "good day" instead of
>"hello" and I don't think the public really picks up on it, I think
>what really counts is people who know their history and their time
>period and can explain it well to the public.

      Absolutely!  Groups will always have new members who are
learning the information, but they can still have a positive attitude
toward the visitors.  Amusingly enough, next to asking directions to
the restroom, visitors most frequently ask me where I'm from and how
I got into reenactment.  It doesn't take any specialized knowledge
for me to answer!

>Then again, with some kids these days, I don't think they have ever
>been taught not to touch what isn't theirs before asking, which
>isn't a reenactor-specific thing, it's a basic manners thing.

      Sometimes it's a momentary lapse in attention or judgement from
their parents.  I was at the Maryland Sheep & Wool festival, where a
friend's 5-year-old daughter could touch the yarn and textiles that
the vendors had on display.  There was a display building of finished
objects, and she was confused when she was corrected for touching.
Older children should know better.  As a reenactor and researcher, I
may be more sensitive about not touching things.

>Chicks in drag - women who try to portray men, usually pretty badly
>and are obvious about it. Don't know if I first coined the word or
>someone else did.

      Another difficult subject as well!  There are some women who do
a good job of it, down to applying razor stubble and keeping their
eyebrows unplucked.  Others need to have their blue eye shadow.
Unfortunately the derogatory term is applied to all, similar to terms
used for those who concentrate "too much" on historical correctness.

      -Carol