From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:04:44 -0400
Good Afternoon All,
As part of our cyclical planning process, I am looking at the annual
attendance trends of the facilities comprising the Pink Palace Family of
Museums.  The overall trend for the past several years has been one of a
slow decline.  Last fiscal year was 424,576....lowest in a decade....the
late 1990s had highs over 600,000.  This overall decline begs the
questions, Question #1 "Is there nation-wide an overall decline in museum
attendance?"  Question #2  "Nation-wide, are there any root causes for this
decline?" Such as: 9/11 and the economy? Too many opportunities for family
leisure-time competing with museum visits?  Or something else?  I would
appreciate any research papers, journal articles, surveys, or thoughts you
may have on this matter.  Also, if you wish to relate any attendance trends
(over the last several years)for your museum, science center, historic
home......please contact me.
Thank you,
Wesley

Wesley S. Creel