Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 23:17:42 -0500
As much as I would like to, I rarely have time to sit down and do a
thorough oral history interview with donors.  However, I always ask for
information about their gift, along with any other possible supporting
documents, photographs, etc.  I add their information (sometimes in my
handwritten notes, though occasionally a donor is happy to write a page or
two of history _as they perceive it_ ) to the object file for curatorial
purposes, including research and possible incorporation into exhibitions.
I think of this information as a part of the provenance of the piece, even
when it is incorrect and more "myth" than reality.

For example, I recently accessioned a bell said by the donor to have been
brought over from Europe by her ancestor (who carved his initials into it)
in the 17th century and passed down through the generations of the same
family.  The donor's grandmother is said to have used the bell to call in
the local farmhands to dinner.  When I saw the bell, which turned out to
be a very heavy cow bell manufactured with processes not used for 2 more
centuries, I knew at least the first part of the story couldn't have been
true!  What I really took into the collections was the donor's STORY,
which speaks on many levels about family pride and traditions, and so on,
illustrated by this particular artifact.

Boy, this sounds like a difficult thesis topic to me!  Good luck!

Melanie Solomon