From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 18:57:23 -0700
Thanks.  I was pretty certain one could get malicious
code by simply opening some emails (most not; some yes
depending upon if there is script).  But my boss sent
my note warning him about Sober to some internal
computer experts who poo-pooed the concept.  I figured
they were wrong but wanted to make sure.

Here are the steps I take to make sure I don't get hit
(and it annoys me to have to be this diligante):

o  Hit the virus protections update each session upon
signing on and don't wait for McAfee to tell me
there's a download or for them to download in their
own time.

o  Use the McAfee firewall and keep it up to date.

o  Hit the Microsoft Windows Critical Updates at least
two to three times a week to see if Microsoft has sewn
up any holes.

o  Read email through an interface and don't download
it (i.e., through the web browser interface of the
various email companies I use).

o  Run Scan Spyware.net after each session, and Spybot
Search and Destroy once or twice a week to delete
malicious code.

o  Clear the cache and the history after every session
and delete the cookies manually periodically
throughout long sessions to dump out the spyware
before it can do anything.

o  I've been given a router to install as an extra
measure of protection but have not yet installed it.

o  And I had to buy a damned shredder to keep idiots
out of my home trash.

It offends me mightily to have to be this diligant
about keeping the buggers out of the computer and out
of my personal trash, but that's what it's like living
in these days, and I don't consider myself paranoid.

I just think that whomever gave my boss the advice
that only clicking would launch a virus should be
looking for a new job.  Sigh.

Anyway, I don't know that there's much more I can
personally do to protect myself and my computer short
of keeping it turned off.  It's disgusting that the
information superhighway has turned into the lands of
identity robbers and superhighway thieves.  It's just
gross.

Indigo Nights