From:
Kenneth B Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:30:13 -0400
Many of us have witnessed the tragedy of the WTC, and some of us have done
so in person.    This evil, perpetrated on innocents (in NY, DC, Boston,
Pa., LA and in many other communities), has changed the world as we know it.
And, it has changed many of us.

I have noticed, and it has been so reported, that many people within these
shores have, in many ways, become kinder, gentler, more sensitive to others.
Those of us who were in some degree of trauma, and did not realize that such
was the case, were offered kind words and helping hands by strangers, as we
wandered in some state of an unknowing daze to our places of work.  And we
were not the most impacted, but were merely those impacted peripherally by
these horrors.  To this day, I note, here in Manhattan, more sensitivity of
folks.  As an interesting example, the other day I noticed that on crowded
subway cars, the seating marked as preferred for the elderly and handicapped
remain empty despite otherwise standing-room-only conditions.

Yet, contrary to all that, we note that on this listserve a level of
harshness and intolerance exists by some towards colleagues.  This has been
evidenced by phrases such as accusing others of "certainly has poor reading
habits.  And clearly doesn't have time for this list!"

It is a sad day when, while others are trying to cope with the tensions of
their jobs, compounded with the tensions of coping in a new world suddenly
inserted with a new sense of terror, we must witness this level of
insensitivity, harshness, and needless criticism of colleagues in what one
would otherwise consider a civilized venue.  In days gone by, the advice
would have been for people of this nature -- those with a need to criticize
innocent colleagues -- to get a punching bag, go to the gym, knock one's
head against a wall, but certainly not go out of one's way to make a
colleague feel stupid.  For someone to believe that deliberately demeaning
others is a right granted by higher authority, or even merely granted by
participation on this listserve, or holds the First Amendment high and says
it gives us the right to deliberately make colleagues feel stupid, to
non-constructively criticize colleagues with the sole purpose of demeaning
another human being and providing absolutely no constructive advice, is
beyond understanding.

However, such is merely one person's view of this less-than-perfect world,
and we look towards ultimate judgment of whether kindness or unwarranted
harshness will be honored in this life and in whatever life follows
hereafter.   Sometimes these people get their just rewards, and sometimes a
miracle happens and they awaken and change.  The latter is certainly hoped
for by the good among us.