From:
"Bentley, Andrew Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 20:48:09 +0000
Beth

In natural history we make a distinction between loans going out and those coming in which are called borrows.  We have a separate table for this in our database which records data like who it came from, when it came, when it is due back and he objects associated with the borrow.  Cataloging these items into your collection has serious implications for ownership etc. especially in museums that have a legal accessioning framework set up to validate authenticity.  Creating catalog numbers for these items can also create confusion down the line as to who owns the material.

Andy

   A :            A :            A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V              V              V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7593
USA