From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:03:15 -0700
I asked my listmates about the ADA in Canada.  Today,
one of the listers in the know responded as follows:

Indigo, as of last year Canadians with disabilities
were specifically
protected under certain anti-discrimination provisions
of their
constitution.  Those I have corresponded with complain
of a general
lack of
enforcement of those provisions.  There was/is a
movement to get a
version
of our ADA passed in Canada, but progress appears to
be very limited.

I no longer have the actual section cites, but the
text reads as
follows:

Equality Rights

Equality before and under law and equal protection and
benefit of law

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the
law and has the
right
to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law
without
discrimination
and, in particular, without discrimination based on
race, national or
ethnic
origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or
physical disability.

Affirmative action programs (2) Subsection (1) does
not preclude any
law,
program or activity that has as its object the
amelioration of
conditions of
disadvantaged individuals or groups including those
that are
disadvantaged
because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour,
religion, sex, age
or
mental or physical disability.

Enforcement

Enforcement of guaranteed rignts and freedoms 2
4. (1) Anyone whose rights or freedoms, as guaranteed
by this Charter,
have
been infringed or denied may apply to a court of
competent jurisdiction
obtain such remedy as the court considers appropriate
and just in the
circumstances.

=====
Indigo Nights