Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:37:22 -0700
Subject:  Protecting Knowledge: Chief Kerry's Moose and other UBCIC
Publications
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:19:26 -0700
From: "UBCIC (Don Bain)" <[log in to unmask]>

Hadih!

The Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs (UBCIC) is pleased and
excited to announce a new joint publication of the UBCIC and Ecotrust
Canada, _Chief Kerry's Moose: A Guidebook to Land Use and Occupancy
Mapping, Research Design_ by Terry Tobias.

This full-colour guidebook examines the common pitfalls encountered
while designing and implementing cultural land use studies and offers
clear guidance on how these problems can be avoided.  The layout of the
publication is in a widely accessible format, with maps, pictures and
diagrams illustrating examples of what has worked in First Nations
research across Canada.  The guidebook is now available in PDF format in
its entirety or by specific chapters at http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/tus.htm

Other online publications and works are available on our website
(http://www.ubcic.bc.ca) for download.  These include the following:

   * Researching the Indian Land Question In B.C.: An Introduction
     to Research Strategies and Archival Research for Band
     Researchers
     http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/manual.htm

     This publication is available in PDF format by specific
     chapters.

   * Protecting Knowledge: Traditional Resource Rights in the New
     Millennium
     http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/protect.htm

   * McKenna-McBride Royal Commission, Minutes of Decision
     1913-1916
     (Still Under Construction!)
     http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/m_mindex.htm

     The McKenna-McBride Royal Commission had a significant impact
     on Indian peoples’ reserve land base by adding to, reducing
     and eliminating reserves throughout the province.  The
     McKenna-McBride Royal Commission authorized such action
     through Minutes of Decision.  We are working on finalizing the
     digital version of the Minutes of Decision and will be making
     them available online as they are completed.

We have received a number of requests from instructors for permission to
use our documents as part of course materials.  We encourage this and
all we ask is that you inform us of your use.  Please feel free to
download the material above and to pass on this notice to those who may
be interested!

If you have a question or comment drop us an email.

Yours truly,

Don Bain

--
E: [log in to unmask]