From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 04:21:30 -0800
With no attempt to hone in on Roger's web site that
served to sound the alarm, here are a few more
fact-based (as opposed to speculative media) sources:

From the World Health Organization dated 12/06/05:

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/country/cases_table_2005_12_06/en/index.html

From OSHA:

http://www.osha.gov/dsg/guidance/avian-flu.html

From the EU (see the section on Human Health):

http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/animal/diseases/controlmeasures/avian/index_en.htm

From the Public Health Agency of Canada:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/disemala/avflu/situatione.shtml

From the Mayo Clinic:

http://mayoclinic.com/health/bird-flu/ID00032

In summary, I think chickens and Colonel Sanders may
have a lot to worry about.  I'm of the belief system
this is no different than the Hong Kong flu or other
strains of flu virus the media has sent alarmist
messages about.

Perhaps, it would be best if we left the subject to
the health agencies and went back to the business of
museums.  Unless one is building an exhibit about such
matters, it's probably nothing you and I can solve.
Wash your hands regularly, encourage sick coworkers to
telecommute (if that's a possibility) and/or stay home
without the hammer falling on them should they express
flu-like symptoms, and the workplace will be a safer
environment in which to work (the latter is actually
the policy in my office).

Indigo Nights