From:
Heather Rudy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2013 17:01:18 -0600
Good Afternoon,

I am having an issue that I need some guidance on.  My museum is under
a University, and we answer to a Development department.  Currently we
are having a discussion about what to do with items that are offered
to the museum that we do not want.  We have a large number of donors
who ship us things (unsolicited) and then tell us that they don't want
what we don't want back, or tell us if we don't want it to get rid of
it.  This is where the trouble comes in.  We have donors sign a
Temporary Custody Receipt with items listed that we will not be taking
and it says that all items not accepted into the collection will
either be returned to donor, sold, or disposed of in anyway the Museum
deems appropriate.  Our Development dpt has told us that even if we
are getting rid of these items we need to wait until 3 years have
passed so we don't have to file an 8282.  If we have the donor's
signature that acknowledges that they don't want it and we don't want
it do we still need to wait the 3 years or fill out the 8282?  If we
have permission from the donor can't we just get rid of the stuff?  By
the way none of those materials are ever listed on the Deed of Gift
that we have the donors sign for items we are accepting into the
collection.  Any advice is appreciated, I have so many shelves of
items that I have to hold onto for 3 years, it is taking up valuable
space.

Thanks!
Heather Rudy, Registrar
Museum of Osteopathic Medicine